128kb PDF of this page for printing      

Checklist for Starting a Business

Below you will find what you need to do to start-up and operate a business in Sitka, Alaska. Some of the documents are PDF files that require the free Adobe Reader. Click on the icon below to download the free software.

get Adobe Reader

Before you start:

To increase your chance for success, take the time up front to ask yourself some important personal and business questions.

Business Planning:

We recommend you prepare a written business plan, complete with financial statements.

Legal Structures:

Decide whether you wish to operate as a sole proprietorship, partnership or corporation, etc.


Obtain an Alaska Business License.

Determine licensing requirements specific to your business.

Internal Revenue Service:

If operating as anything other than a sole proprietorship, obtain a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service.

Talk to your accountant or bookkeeper, or contact the Internal Revenue Service Taxpayer Education Service to determine potential tax obligations and filing requirements.

Hiring Employees:

For a complete listing of Department of Labor information for employers go to http://labor.state.ak.us/employer/employer.htm

If hiring employees, register with the Employment Security Division, Alaska Department of Labor in order to obtain an unemployment insurance identification number.

Call toll free: (888) 448-2937, or go to  http://www.labor.state.ak.us/estax/home.htm and click on the FAQ's for TaxWeb link to learn more about the registration process.

Determine necessary compliance with the Workers' Compensation Act by contacting Workers' Compensation Division, Alaska Department of Labor.

Contact the Alaska Department of Labor Standards and Safety Division to determine compliance with the Occupational Safety and Health Act.

City Information:

A city business registration form and $25 sales tax deposit is required of anyone doing business or having a rental in the City and Borough of Sitka. Pick up the form at the Sitka Works/SBRC office or

Research Zoning regulations.